If you’ve only been with someone a few weeks this probably wouldn’t be the best gift idea, but if you’ve been together for a while, what better way to celebrate your love than with a Relationship Time Capsule.
So what do you need to include?
- Photos of the two of you (don’t forget to date them)
- A valentine’s day or Christmas card he sent you or that you sent him
- Old love letters
- A copy of the newspaper from your anniversary day
- Photos or other mementos from places you’ve been together as the ticket stubs to the first time you went to the movies together or a matchbook from the restaurant he took you on your first date
- A copy of your song on a flash drive – Don’t have a song? No problem. How about a song that was popular when you two got together.
- Anything else that is special between just the two of you or defines part of your relationship.
Now take all of your items and prepare them for storage. Because paper products can deteriorate over time be sure and store them in acid-free envelopes. Everything else you want to store in zip lock baggies. It will help preserve the items better and keep out any moisture.
Now gather all the items and store them in a decorate photo box. You don’t want to actually bury the box because it could ruin some of the items. Instead, just store it at the top of your closet. If you don’t have a decorative photo box you can get them almost anywhere including Amazon, your local Wal-mart, Target, and even most dollar stores.
A time capsule is a container that holds present-day items, such as photos, newspapers, letters, and more. It’s typically hidden away for your future self or someone of your choosing to open. This is perfect as a gift to yourself or a gift for your child for future years. Have another family member or loved one hide the box, so you aren’t tempted to open it! Want to hide it for a year? Maybe five years or ten? There’s no time limit! The rules are all up to you. Shoeboxes are great for indoor safekeeping, while weather-resistant boxes are best for the outdoors.
Last but not least, consider adding a message to yourself in your relationship time capsule. You can put anything you want in this message for your future self, but do yourself a favor and actually spend some time on it. The point of the whole message is that it is meaningful.